What to do if we had a clogged pipe that resulted in water damage but our insurer will not cover all of it?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we had a clogged pipe that resulted in water damage but our insurer will not cover all of it?

Our insurer is refusing to fix all the damage, except for a small closet and flooring in a bathroom. We have water damage in 2 bedrooms,bathroom and kitchen. Mold has now started growing. While we have mold coverage, they have told us that they aren’t going to take care of any of it. A few years ago we had damage to our siding and since they no longer made the siding we had our insurer gave us 2 boxes of a different color siding and said that’s all they were going to do, case closed. We couldn’t afford to replace all the siding so now we have 2 different colored sidings on our home.What can we do when dealing with a big company with lots of lawyers?

Asked on August 31, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them. An insurance policy is a contract; while an insurer does not need to pay any amounts or for any damage not covered by the terms of the policy, it *does* need to pay whatever and whenever the policy calls for. If the insurer does not pay what it is supposed to pay under the policy, it is in breach of contract and you could sue to enforce the terms of--and get the payment due to you under--the policy. Insurers, like all parties to a contract, also have a duty to deal with other parties in good faith, and if the insurer is not doing that, it may be violating the "implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing," and you may sue for that violation, too.

If the amount you are looking for is less than the maximum limit on your state's small claims courts, you are probably best off representing yourself pro se and suing in small claims; if the amount is greater than that, consult with a lawyer.

Yes, they have lawyers, but big companies do lose when the facts are against them; and also, lawyers and defending against a lawsuit cost money. Say that you sue them for $12,000. Even if they feel they have a solid case, there's a chance they will lose--there always is--and they know that. Say they think there's a 25% chance they'd lose; statistically, a 25% chance of losing $12k is equal to $3k. Say that they also think that if they have to go to court, they may spend another $3k on lawyers--that's now $6k total. They may well be willing to offer you something less than $6k--maybe $3k to $5k--as a settlement. That's not what you were suing for, but it would still be better than nothing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption