If we had 2 money orders stolen and fraudulently cashed by 2 individuals, can we sue the individuals who cashed the money orders and the recipients?

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we had 2 money orders stolen and fraudulently cashed by 2 individuals, can we sue the individuals who cashed the money orders and the recipients?

2 money orders I used to pay rent were stolen from my property management company and cashed by 2 individuals. 1 of the money orders was accepted as payment by a local lawyer that is representing one of the individuals in court for fraud and theft charges. I contacted this lawyer and he invoked “attorney-client privilege” and told me he would be out of the country for a while. I have filed a police report and provided the detective with copies of the money orders and all of the relevant information. I have verified the identity of the individuals, and their arrest records. What is my recourse?

Asked on November 23, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  May I ask: what is the property management office doing?  If they accepted the payment from you via the money orders - and I am hoping that you got a receipt - then they are the ones that should be prosecuting the thieves and trying to get the money back. If they are not you need to find out what and explain why here.  It appears that you have done what ever you need and really gone beyond.  Your rent is paid.  The management office needs to step up to the plate.   As for the lawyer, I would seek to file a complaint against hi with the local Bar grievance committee.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption