What to do if we co-signed for our daughter to lease an apartment but were never notifed of damages as per the lease?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we co-signed for our daughter to lease an apartment but were never notifed of damages as per the lease?

Her lease ended 8/6/12 and we had attempted to contact the rental office by phone regarding her security deposit but never received a return call or any notices of anything owed until yesterday we got a letter from a collection agency stating we owed $1500 in damages to the apartment. Besides the fact that we are disputing the various charges we are wondering how you can be turned over to a collection agency when we never got a bill? The lease where we signed specifically states that we agree to pay any costs that are not paid by the renters in a timely manner if we are notified by the landlord that monies are owed. We were never notified.

Asked on October 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

For a definitive answer, you need an attorney to review the specific language of the lease with you (e.g. does it specify when notice must be provided, or the type of notice), since a lease is a contract and, like other contracts, is governed by its specific terms. That said, it is most likely legal: you are now being provided notice (the request to pay) and if you dispute the charges, have the opportunity (if necessary) to make your case in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption