What are the travel restrictions if you are waiting for a case from the NVC and have a K1 visa?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the travel restrictions if you are waiting for a case from the NVC and have a K1 visa?

I live in the US he lives in Canada. We had already booked for him to travel here to see our baby in a sonogram before the K1 application had been approved at USCIS. He will only be here a week. Is he allowed to travel during the time at NVC and being sent to the Montreal embassy? Will it effect our K1 visa? We can’t seem to get any answers from NVC or the embassy.

Asked on September 10, 2015 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If he is a Canadian citizen he does not need a visa to enter the US as a visitor for up to 6 months so he should be able to do that even with the pending K1 petition and once the interview is scheduled in montreal he can return there for the interview.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption