What do we do if we are supposed to be closing on our house and have just found out that a squatter has moved in?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do we do if we are supposed to be closing on our house and have just found out that a squatter has moved in?

So we are supposed to close the deal tomorrow, only to find out that someone has moved into our house. We had the inspectors come, we have looked at it, and they were not there before. Sometime in the last week, someone just decided that they will move in. Can we call the police and have him removed? He never had permission to be there and I also believe he has padlocked the door.

Asked on March 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Definitely call the police as the first step. If they conclude that he is a trespasser and broke in, they may well remove and, possibly, arrest him.

Be warned: if the squatter tries to claim some sort of legal right to be there (e.g. "the owners said I could;" "I paid rent"; etc.), they may choose to not intervene, since the police do not get involved if--plausibly--it is a civil dispute between parties. If that's the case, you may need to go through the legal eviction process, which can take a few weeks. The one thing you *can't* do in that case is lock him out yourself--that's against the law.

So try the police and they may well, based on what you right, remove him. (Though you may need the current owner to call if you do so before closing--you don't own the home yet and don't have a right to it; he may also need to confirm he did not give permission to stay there.) Just be ready to move to the eviction process if necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption