We are selling our older home and buyers want us to remove and replace limited knob and tube wiring due to the fact that we have made many updates do we have to?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

We are selling our older home and buyers want us to remove and replace limited knob and tube wiring due to the fact that we have made many updates do we have to?

The knob and tube is limited due to many improvements we have made. We had given them $15,000 off list price plus did all repairs requested in their inspection report including having a licensed electrician ground some outlets check the electric panel and he certified that it is not a problem. We are also going to asbestos abatement for $5,000. We are about to let them walk away but closing is supposed to be the end of the month on this house and our new house.

Asked on August 4, 2018 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If there was no inspection contingency, you did not have to do anything at all: they were in that case buying the house "as is" and if you voluntarily gave them something, they are ahead of the curve.
If there was an inspection contingency and you and they have alreasdy agreed to as to what would satisfy it--e.g. the $15k off list and asbestors abatement--then they are limited to that; they cannot come back and ask for more. (Well, they can *ask*--anyone can always "ask"--but they have no power to force you to give them more.)
In the above two cases, if they walk away, you would be entitled to keep their deposit or earnest money; if you incurred provable losses or costs significantly in excess of the deposit, you may be able to sue for the surplus and should discuss that with an attorney.
If they have an inspection contingency and there is as yet no agreement as to what satisfies it, they could choose to use it to walk away, so long as they are in compliance with any dates, deadlines, or other requirements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption