What to do if we were not timely notified of a rent increase?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we were not timely notified of a rent increase?

We are in a 3 year lease with our business; it is coming close to the end. In the contract it states the rent is supposed to increase each year by 5%. We have been paying the same amount since the beginning. We received a call from someone saying we owe all the back 5% including tax. They never let us know about the increase. They waited 21 months to let us know. Can we do anything?

Asked on March 28, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The rent increase is built into the lease itself--that is, it was, as per the lease, to increase each year by a set percentage--then you owe the back rent. You are contractually obligated to pay it (the lease is a contract) and the landlord's failure to seek to collect it earlier would not prevent him or her from collecting it now. You may wish to see about negotiating a mutually agreeable payment plan or schedule.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption