We are forming a LLC and want to lease a building, how do we sign to protect our personal assets?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

We are forming a LLC and want to lease a building, how do we sign to protect our personal assets?

Our LLC name has been approved and the paperwork is being processed. We want to lease a building. How would we sign under a LLC to protect our assets? Also, do we have to wait until the LLC paperwork arrives?

Asked on June 9, 2011 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) Wait until you know *for sure* the LLC has been formed--not just the name approved and paperwork in process--and you have also the tax ID number. Don't assume everything will in fact go through as it should

2) When you sign the lease (and any other paperwork), sign as:

"John Doe, President
for Limited Liability Company, LLC"

signing using your title, for the company.

3) Also make sure that the LLC, not you, is listed as the party leasing the building. And use the LLC's tax idea number.

4) Finally, be aware that if you sign any personal guaranties, that throws the LLC protection out the window...though some landlords will not lease w/out a personal guaranty, especially to a new company (i.e. one without significant assets or a track record).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption