How can you back out of an offer that you put in on a house?

UPDATED: May 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can you back out of an offer that you put in on a house?

We agreed on an home and both signed the offer. However we now wish to get out of buying the house now that we have looked more closely at it.

Asked on May 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Were there any contingencies in the agreement that would let you out of it, if those contingencies were not met? For example, was there an inspection contingency, and an inspection was conducted and revealed material or serious defects? Was there some recissionary period (basically, a time specified to get out of the agreement without cause or penalty)? Etc.

If  the agreement provides some ground for you to esape it, you can. However, if the agreement itself does not have any clauses or terms that would let you get out of it, then unless there was fraud--an intentional misrepresentation as to some significant element or term--that would invalidate the agreement, you are likely bound by it. You should bring it to a real estate attorney to review it and the circumstances for  you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption