Water damage during closer

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Water damage during closer

We were selling our apartment when we incurred water damage. The buyer now
demands new hardwood floors, and a 10 reduction in the agreed price. He
also threatens to hold us liable for his rent and a parking space he decided to
purchase. what are our options?

Asked on November 10, 2017 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have to provide the unit to the buyer in the same condition it was in when the buyer signed the contract: this your contractual obligation, to turn over the unit in the shape it was in when the buyer agreed to purchase it. You have to either repair it fully to that condition, or work out some mutually agreeable alternative (e.g. price reduction) with the buyer. (If you work out an alternative make sure it's in writing.) If you repair all damage fully, that's all the buyer can get from you--he can't demand further improvements or a price abatement. But if you don't repair it or otherwise work it out with the buyer, you will be in breach of contract and he refuse to close and/or sue you for compensation.
Repairing fully is not just surface repairs: it would also mean insuring there is no mold or in the walls dampness leading to mold, repairing any structural elements damaged, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption