Was it legal to change my starting pay after I signed the offer they gave me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was it legal to change my starting pay after I signed the offer they gave me?

I was given an offer of 24.50hr to start, I accepted the offer and quit my other job.
When I started on my first day they had me sign a different offer of 20.50 I had no
job to go back to and I had to pass a 90 day probation. I felt like I had no alternative.
This was years ago and have been working under this guys thumb ever since.

Asked on April 15, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, unless you had an actual written contract for a FIXED or definite period of time (like a one-year contract), your pay could be changed at will. In the absence of such a contract, all employment in this nation is "employment at will" which means, among other things, that your pay is totall under the employer's control. Only a written contract for a set period of time overrides that and locks in your compensation (and other terms of employment) for the duration of the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption