Was it illegal for my 19-year-old son to have sex with a 16-year-old girl?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was it illegal for my 19-year-old son to have sex with a 16-year-old girl?

My son received a letter from child protective services today’s ago requesting a meeting this upcoming Tuesday about an alleged sexual abuse with a minor my son as I said at the top is 19 and had sexual relations with a 16-year-old girl for 2 weeks at the beginning of summer in 2 months after the relationship ended this letter has shown up in our mailbox.

Asked on September 3, 2017 under Criminal Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your son can be charged with statutory rape because the girl was under the age of consent. If she consented to sex, her consent is not valid because she is underage.
Statutory rape is a felony. There may be additional charges pertaining to sexual abuse of a minor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption