Was I wrongfully terminated?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was I wrongfully terminated?

I was recently terminated from my job after I was dealing with health issues. I had called in sick for about 3 weeks and I had told them I was seeking medical attention when I’m reality I was dealing with it own my own. As I turns out, I was diagnosed with depression but didn’t know how to handle it and come forth about it and when I finally came forth about it I was let go. Do I have a case here?

Asked on March 1, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, what you describe involved lying to your employer about the reason you needed time off: while you told your employer you were seeking medical attention, if you were "dealing with it on my own," you were in essence simply not going into work because you didn't feel up to it. Lying to your employer about the reason for leave or time off is a valid ground for termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption