Was disqualified for unemployment for misconduct

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was disqualified for unemployment for misconduct

I was disqualified for unemployment for misconduct in the state of Michigan. I was let go for attendance. Got a flat tire on my way to work in didn’t make it in to work. I’ve been wrote up for attendance in the past so I don’t know if I should appel it or not.

Asked on September 13, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There's no harm in trying to appeal--it doesn't cost you anything, and you can't do worse than not getting the benefits--but based on what you write, you probably are not eligible. You indicate that you were written up for attendence in the past, before the recent incident that saw you get terminated. A pattern of absenteeism, lateness, or other attendence issues is grounds for termination "for cause"--that is, for employment wrongdoing. A for-cause termination makes you ineligible for unemployment benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption