Was caught shoplifting. My first offense, was curious to what steps I could take, and if possible to keep this off my record.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Was caught shoplifting. My first offense, was curious to what steps I could take, and if possible to keep this off my record.

Was caught shoplifting, it is my first offense. Didn’t fight, struggle, or otherwise offer the security or officer any trouble. Wanted to know if there was any route to avoid this staying on my record, or what the best advice at hand would be.Also, was a little concerned with the officer that responded and continuously badgered and probed claims that I was on probation. (Clean record, my first offense.) It took him two checks until he’d finally accept the answer, even after instigating my mother and grandmother who were at the scene as well.I want to know if I can get this off record.

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Many states offer first time offenders opportunities to resolve their criminal matters in a way that will not result in anything permanent being on their record.  Where I practice, in Connecticut, for example, first time shoplifting offenders are often offered the opportunity to complete two days of community service in exchange for the charges being dismissed (i.e. removed from their record).  In other situations (for example, if the cost of the goods is not a nominal amount) there are pretrial diversionary programs that involve attending classes and completing a greater amount of community service, also in exhange for the dismissal of the charges.  In your particular case, one or more of these opportunities may be available, in addition to the fact that there may, based upon the particular facts of your case, be valid defenses to the actual criminal charges that exist.  I suggest that you consult with and/or retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to discuss favorable resolutions of your charges based upon the specific facts of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption