What to do if a warrant was issued on a deferred sentence case?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a warrant was issued on a deferred sentence case?

I plead guilty to a Class C Misdemeanor assault 2 years ago. I got it deferred. I thought everything was taken care of. I went off to college and got a job after the conviction. Now I’m trying to get a new job and was turned down because of my background. Turns out there’s a warrant for me I wasn’t aware of for that case. If I pay that warrant, would my case go back to being deferred and won’t show up on my background?

Asked on November 4, 2010 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to speak with an attorney as soon as you can on this matter.  Warrants do not just show up on cases you thought were taken care of.  You obviously missed something or did not do something required by the court.  otherwise, the matter would be disposed in the system.  Warrants are not something that you should play around with.  If you are stopped for a traffic infraction you can be placed under arrest.  The best person to deal with this on your behalf is your attorney.  He or she can intercede on your behalf and smooth the waters, so to speak.  Also ask about expungement. This way your record is clear forever. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption