Want to divorce my husband but i have no idea how

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Want to divorce my husband but i have no idea how

My husband of 6 years has been cheating on me with hookers and apparently, most recently, the neighbor. we have 2 children. I will be seeking full custody alimony since he makes double what I make, doesn’t treat my job as important and has prevented me from taking other jobs and making more money because it didn’t fit his schedule. Only problem is I have nothing because of this. the house is in his name, I live paycheck to paycheck with the daycare payments and he complains that I don’t contribute. Help

Asked on August 15, 2018 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Do not think that you have nothing: you have two beautiful children and likely more than you think in assets.  Was the house purchased during the marriage?  Then it is a marital asset for distribution regardles of whose name it is in.  So are investments and bank accounts. Each state has several different factors that affect Alimony and length of marriage and adultery are but two.  Please call your local bar association and ask for a referral to a divorce attorney for consultation.  Bring with you your last tax returns and W-2.  He plays head and heart games.  You deserve better.  You work and provide and take care of the kids.  Do not let him belittle that at all.  It is more than he can do.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption