Do I need a collections lawyer to collect a judgement in the amount of $3000 awarded to me as a result of evicting a tenant about 7 months ago?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need a collections lawyer to collect a judgement in the amount of $3000 awarded to me as a result of evicting a tenant about 7 months ago?

I got a tenant evicted on non-payment of rent. She did not show up and I was granted a default judgement for 2 months rent in the amount of $2990. What are my options to recover the funds? I am willing to hire a collections specialist lawyer.

Asked on June 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There are many attorneys that specialize in debt collection.  Depending on your agreement with the attorney, they will either keep a portion of the $3000.00 award, or they will bill the tenant for his fee (if your rental contract authorized the imposition of the fee.)  If you don't want to necessarily hiring the attorney for enforcement actions, you may want to consider just hire him/her to send a demand letter.  Many tenants will be motivated after getting an attorney letter.   Another option, especially if you are going to stay in the leasing business, is to develop a relationship with a collection agency that specialized is debt collection for landlords.  They often track tenants who move on to the next landlord- and continue with demand notification letters.  They will also report the delinquent amounts for you on the tenant's credit history as an additional motivation for the tenant to pay what they due.  Each option has its own advantage.  An attorney can file a subsequent suit to enforce.  Collection agencies can't file legal action, but tend to be able to find dead-beat tenants a little better.  They also tend to work on commission which is often cheaper for landlords.  If you can find a combo-- and attorney that runs a regular collection program in your area, you would get the best of both worlds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption