What are my rights if my employer owes me back wages and pay increase according to company policy.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my employer owes me back wages and pay increase according to company policy.

I have it in writing from a district manager that I am entitled to both. I’ve attempted may times to reach out to someone to have this fixed. I either get ignored or directed back to someone who states they will get back to me. This has been going on for almost a year. Can I sue?

Asked on November 4, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you had  an actual written contract for a raise or pay and Wal-mart violated it, you could sue in court for "breach of contract" to enforce its terms. But the law does not generally enforce company policy: company policy is much more a statement of what the company typically does or intends to do than it is a binding obligation. While you can bring any policy documents with you to an employment law attorney to review, to see if in this case, the text of those documents creates an enforceable obligation, you need to be prepared that policy is usually not legally enforceable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption