Wal- Mart civil service fee

UPDATED: May 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wal- Mart civil service fee

recently caught shoptliftin an item that was 8$ a court date has been set and I intend on paying the fee, but a wal- mart represenative recently called and said I owed them 200$ in civil damages. The product was returned in perfect condtion. Should I pay them?

Asked on May 5, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT, not TX, but I practice criminal defense.  It is very admirable that you are paying the fine.  However, as for the civil liability, I would make sure you do not pay anything unless there is legal action taken against you.  If the state is going to charge you with a crime and prosecute you for one amount but not the other, there is some problem as to why that is.  If there is actual legal action by Walmart, then I would go see a lawyer.  Most lawyers will give you a free consultation - I know I do :) 

I think that you need to be careful talking to Walmart as well.  I would not respond to their calls until the criminal matter is over.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption