Virginia Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

A name change in Virginia is a simple process which requires that you complete only one form and file it with the court in the county where you live. A fee is required. The information provided here will clear up your confusion and help you take the first steps toward changing your name.

What forms are required for a Virginia name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Virginia:

  • Application for Change of Name (Adult) (Form CC-1411)

These forms can be found on the Virginia State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Virginia?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. The Application will need to be notarized, or signed in front of a court clerk.

Is there a filing fee in Virginia for a name change?

Yes. There will be a filing fee which varies by courthouse. Contact the clerk to find out the cost. Oftentimes a fee waiver may be obtained with a sufficient showing of financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local courthouse.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local courthouse.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption