Vera Renee Amos

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Vera Renee Amos

My daughter was 21, passed away from pulmonary embolism. We had group life insurance which premiums were paid. On the application it did not state that she had to be a student. Now they are denying the claim because she was 21 and not a student. If that is their policy, why were we not notified that she would have no coverage and they continued to accept premiums?

Asked on July 6, 2018 under Insurance Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

First, please accept our sincere sympathy for your loss.
If you believe--as you evidently do--that they should have paid the claim under the terms of the policy, you can sue them for "breach of contract." An insurance policy is a contract; as with any other contract, the parties to it, like the insurer, must do what the contract (policy) says they must--and they cannot add terms or conditions to it (such as that she must have been a student) not found in the contract (policy) itself.  A contract can be enforced in court, so if they do not pay when under the terms of the policy they should, you could sue them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption