Vehicle Title Transfer

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Vehicle Title Transfer

So, a couple of months ago I did my friend a favor when he purchased a vehicle from a private party. His license is currently suspended so I put the vehicle is titled under my name I registered the insurance under my name as well. Now I’m at a spot where I don’t want the vehicle registered in my name at all anymore I’ve already dropped the vehicle from my insurance. I’ve been trying to get in contact with my friend the past couple of weeks and no response after multiple attempts of contact. I’m trying to figure out is there anyway of getting the title out of my name without actually transferring it to anybody?

Asked on July 11, 2018 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, no: vehicles must be titled to someone. You have to get someone to accept title from you, even if it is a charity to whom you donate the car (and possibly get a tax deduction therefore) or some salvage or "we buy cars" business that will purchase it from you for a nominal (i.e. small) amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption