If a vehicle is jointly owned by a couple, who has the right to it if they split up?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a vehicle is jointly owned by a couple, who has the right to it if they split up?

My girlfriend and I split after many years together. We have a vehicle in both of our names. I have it; she wants it. I have given her the money to make every payment. Of which I will now make it personally. If I leave my truck at my parent’s and ride to work with a co-worker, can she come and take the truck if I am not here?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. Since your former girlfriend and you are on registered title to the same vehicle, you both own it. She and you both have the rights to the vehicle to use and possess.

If she wants the vehicle and you leave it somehwere, she can legally drive it away assuming that she has the key to it. I suggest that you and she reach some written agreement about how you want to resolve the car situation as to who gets to possess and drive it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption