Must my vacation time be given to me as requested or can my employer not honor my request?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Must my vacation time be given to me as requested or can my employer not honor my request?

I have accrued 40 hours vacation time. I have requested off at the end of March. I did this January 3rd. New Link Destination
day I was told they cannot give me 5 days in a row because they cannot provide coverage for me. What should I do?

Asked on January 13, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Legally, an employer is not obligated to give sick days, vacation, PTO, etc. Therefore, to the extent that a company chooses to give such time it has a great deal of say over when it can be used. Basically, an employer can set the conditions of the workplace much as it deems necessary or sees fit. Accordingly you have the claim here unless this action violates the terms of a union agreement or employment contract, or in some way constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption