UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I am planning to take my 2 children to Disney Land . I live in Arizona and I am
wanting to take them to California. My ex wife is saying she does not give her
permission to take our children to California. We both have legal custody, and
legal decision making. But she is the custodial parent. No where that I read in
our decree does it say that I need her permission to take our children out of
state. I have been trying to get a hold of our Judges chambers and no one has
gotten back to me in regards to this.

Asked on April 13, 2016 under Family Law, Arizona


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your decree is silent regarding any travel limitations, then you can travel anywhere you would like with your children on vacation.  Travel restrictions are usually only imposed when one parent has a demonstrated history or fleeing with the children in violation of court orders.  This does not sound like the case here.  It sounds like your ex- is controlling and wants a free trip to Disneyland.  Most likely, it's a jealously issue because she doesn't want you 'one upping her' in the parenting game.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption