vacating a rental and need to ask for an extension

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

vacating a rental and need to ask for an extension

our landlord has asked us to vacate our rental property in 60 days. my kids are
still in school and my husband is working out of state. im single handed and its
winter. my boxes are even frozen Is there a way for me to be able to get an
extension till end of june legally.

Asked on January 29, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you still have an in-effect (unexpired) written lease for a definite or defined term (e.g a one-year lease), the landlord cannot make you leave before the lease is up, unless you do something (failing to pay rent; violating the lease; damaging the property; etc.) which would otherwise let the landlord evict you. But if you are on a written month-to-month lease, an oral (unwritten) lease, which is always month to month, or if notice concides with your lease expiring, there is nothing you can do. When not guaranteed tenancy by a written lease for a specific period of time, the landlord can terminate your tenancy on a month's (let alone 60 days) notice. You can ask for more time, but don't have any way to make him or her give it to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption