What to do about a utility easement that is ruining my backyard?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a utility easement that is ruining my backyard?

I have a 4 year old home and I have a 10 ft easement that runs along the back yard property line. There is telephone, cable and sewer lines underground within this easement. Every 3 or 4 months 1of these utilitiess feel they need to repair a cable and dig a huge hole in my backyard. One utility even removed a fence panel and never put the post back in concrete; now it wobbles. I try to keep a nice yard but can’t do it with this situation. Now there is a new home being built behind me and the contractor informed me they are going to have to “dig a big hole” in my backyard to run a sewer line.

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all sattes, a person who owns an easement over another person's parcel that benefits him or her individually or their property has the obligation to maintain the easement and make any repairs to the property that is burdened by the easement as to their use of it.

In your situation from what you have described, the owner of the easement over your property is not adequately making the necessary repairs and maintance to it after access to your property is obtained. You need to call the owner of the easement voicing your displeasure as to the additional work that he or she is causing you requesting that repairs be made to your home followed up by a written letter where you keep a copy for your records.

If you do not get an adequate and timely response to your request, you can make the repairs yourself and sue for the costs in small claims court.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption