Using mail as evidence?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Using mail as evidence?

I have done a website for a company in France; it was done 10 months ago. After that, we agreed I should update their website and social medias for salary of $850 a month. However, since time, I have not received anything. I have all transcripts and all the mails where they are promising they will pay but they are delaying. Is there any way to sue them with all the mails as evidence?

Asked on November 22, 2016 under Business Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, mail (and emails, and text messages) can be used as evidence; but if they are in France, you will almost certainly have to sue them in France--it is unlikely that an Alaskan or other U.S. court would have jurisdiction (power) over a French entity unless it has local affiliates (and then you might only get jurisdiction over those affiliates). Even if you could get jurisdiction over them, if you sue them and win and they don't pay, you'd have to try to get the judgment domesticated in France, then get a French court to collect against them, an uncertain, slow, and possibly expensive process. It is most likely the case that you do not have any effective or practical recourse against them. It is very difficult to sue an overseas entity or person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption