USA Citizen sponsoring father and step mother and step brother and sisters.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

USA Citizen sponsoring father and step mother and step brother and sisters.

Hi There
I am about to become a USA citizen, I want to sponsor my family.

I want to sponsor my father, step mother my real mother had died. And my step brother 20yrs and step sisters 21 and 17 yrs from same father.

Do I have to file for both parents separately or sponsor only father. How can I sponsor my step brother and sister or how they can be sponsored.
Please advise.


Asked on May 7, 2017 under Immigration Law, New York


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can petition for your father without any issues and for your stepmother only if she and your father got married before your 18th birthday.  Each petition would have to be filed separately and independently because there are no derivatives for immediate relative petitions.  ALso be aware that for stepbrother/stepsister, the process is likely to take about 10-12 years if eligible.  For your father and stepmother, if she is eligbile to be petitioned by you, it will take about a year.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption