What is an unsigned tenant’s rental obligations?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is an unsigned tenant’s rental obligations?

For his senior year in college, my son shared an apartment with a friend from high school. Because he was out of the country when the lease was arranged, he was never added to the lease. They made all the arrangements, and we paid them directly for my son’s share. Now, at the end of the lease, my son’s funds have run out, and we asked them to apply our share of the security deposit to the share for the final month, adding additional funds to make up the difference. Several messages, but no answer, except a vague threat of legal action from the son. What is our liability?

Asked on June 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A tenant may be liable without a signed lease. No signed written lease means an oral lease. An oral lease is a month to month lease, which means it can be changed, going forward, on one month's notice. However, for all the time that the tenant is in the apartment, it is treated for most purposes like a written lease, including as to rent and security deposit.

As a general matter, a landlord is not obligated  to let a tenant apply the security deposit to the rent; the landlord can require it be kept intact until the tenancy is up, at which point it may be drawn against for damages or unpaid rent. The landlord also has a right to bring legal action against a tenant who has not paid his rent. So the landlord does not need to let you do this, and can sue if he wants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption