What can I do if I’m being accused of an accident that I didn’t cause?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m being accused of an accident that I didn’t cause?

A neighbor claimed that I hit his car while backing out of my driveway yesterday. I told him I didn’t but he said I did because the marks are green and my car is green. There’s another green car on the street that I believe belongs to his son. I left the house at 4 pm Saturday and a neighbor said he left 10 minutes after me. He came to my house 12 pm Sunday saying I hit his car but he didn’t see it. What can I do?

Asked on November 14, 2011 under Accident Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your neighbor has been accusing you of damaging his car with yours, the best way to try and resolve the situation is to advise your insurance carrier of the claim and let your carrier take care of it even if you did not cause the problem. You have already told your neighbor that you did not cause the accident but he does not believe you.

From what you have written, it does not seem that your neighbor is going to take "no" as an answer from you that you did not cause the damages. Hopefully your insurance carrier will do an investigation and this situation will be resolved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption