What to do about an unreturned house key?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an unreturned house key?

Girlfriend owns home; boyfriend lives there but has no lease and is told to move.. He moves but keeps a key without her knowledge. Later after all his belongings are moved, he comse in at 2:30 am (using the key) and physically assults her and a male friend. He is arrested and charged with B&E and 2 counts of assult. He is saying the B&E will not stick because he had a key. Is that correct?

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Criminal Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, just because the boyfriend had a key to enter his girlfriend's home, he did not have the legal permission to enter the unit. As such, from a legal perspective, the breaking and entering criminal charges against him seem warranted based upon the facts that you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption