Unpaid wages

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Unpaid wages

Numerous people have quit the company I worked for due to unexpectedly low paychecks. Our employer had a meeting to break down our payments, however I took it upon my self to manually break down my commission. I recently discovered that the employer has been dividing our commission with our co-workers and my office meeting hours with time spent selling. Our employment contract stated that commission would be divided hourly based on time spent in the field but not for the office hours.

Asked on March 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You state that "Our employment contract stated that commission would be divided hourly based on time spent in the field but not for the office hours."
A written employment contract is enforceable the same way any other contract is enforceable: if you were not paid the amount you should have been paid as per the contract, you could sue your employer for "breach of contract" for the difference in money. If that difference is less than the limit for small claims court, suing in small claims, as your own attorney ("pro se") is a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption