If I moved out of an apartment but my roommate stayed, can I now be held responsible for unpaid rent?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I moved out of an apartment but my roommate stayed, can I now be held responsible for unpaid rent?

I leased an apartment 3 years ago with a roommate. At the end of my lease I notified management (30 days) that I would be moving. My roommate opted to stay. Now they have contacted me for unpaid rent for the apartment. Am I liable?

Asked on January 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. When you terminated your lease three (3) years ago, were you on a month to month basis or was there a term of months still remaining on the lease? If there was a term of months remaining on your contractual obligation, did you pay your share of the lease that you ended unilaterally for this time period? If not, then there is a good likelihood that you are obligated for your share of the lease that you did not pay on.

The only exception would be if the landlord signed a written document stating that you were not liable for the balance of the lease or your room was rented out and the person occupying it for the balance of your lease actually made payments to the landlord during the balance of the time you were obligated upon it in the amount that you were to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption