Unpaid Commissions from Principle

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Unpaid Commissions from Principle

Briefly, I have been selling high priced products for another small 2 person owned company for the past 10 years. Then, 5 years ago, they essentially stopped paying me commissions. Since I developed a friendship with the own and foolishly trusted him, I continued selling his products. Originally he had financial issues but for the past 2 years, refused to address the non-payment of the commissions. I have various documents that show he wanted me to sell his products with the intention of paying me a commission. I really don’t have a legal, written contract with him so do I have an legal recourse to securing the commissions owed roughly 50k?

Asked on September 12, 2019 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue for the commissions, and suing is the only way to make them pay them. Even without a written contract, yiu can win if you can show that there was an oral or unwritten agreement that they'd pay (and if they paid in the past, that is strong evidence there was such an agreement) and the amount of sales you made.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption