What to do about a lawsuit regarding an unlicensed driver?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a lawsuit regarding an unlicensed driver?

About 2 years ago my ex dropped me off at work. I asked her to park my car and meet me inside because I was running late. I knew she didn’t have a license. Someone bumped into her and she rolled and bumped into someone else. The person that bumped my ex took off and no one got the license plates. The lady was ready to let it all go when she saw a cop and said her neck hurt. Afterwords my ex took off but they got the license plates. Some legal people contacted me a few weeks later and pictures of the cars where taken. Now, after I’d forgotten about it she’s suing me. Who’s responsible? I’m engaged do I have to stay in NY?

Asked on September 11, 2011 under Accident Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the lady whose car was hit is suing you, she is also most likely suing your insurance company. There is some good and bad with this. If you didn't know your ex did not have a license, then there is a possibility you might avoid liability and there may be a possibility that the insurance company will cover it if your insurance covered you or the car or both. As to the issue of the lawsuits, the woman may be time barred but only your insurance company or your own attorney would be able to research that, get the police report and accident report from the insurance companies (hers and yours) and assess whether the lawsuit is bogus and or whether the woman simply waited too long to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption