What to o if an uninsured motorist was at fault for our accident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to o if an uninsured motorist was at fault for our accident?

The other driver was at fault and I only had liability insurance. The damage to my car is around $5,000. If I take him to small claims for reimbursement, do I have to fix the old car or can I just put the money towards something different?

Asked on May 22, 2019 under Accident Law, Iowa


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you have uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy, you can file an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance company for the property damage (cost of repairs) to your car.
If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage, your only recourse is to sue the uninsured motorist for negligence. Your damages (monetary compensation) you are seeking in your lawsuit) are the cost of repairs to your car. Upon prevailing in the case, you can also recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee. A monetary judgment can be enforced with a wage garnishment. You can decide after receiving the money whether to use it to have the car repaired or for something else.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption