Uniforms returned but company says I still have to pay

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Uniforms returned but company says I still have to pay

I return uniforms and other various things to a job I
quit. They say since it was after 7 days I will be
required to pay for them. They say they sent me
letters but the letters went to the wrong address.
Now I have gotten stuff mailed to me before from
them and they always had the right address. But I
got a final notice without ever getting a 1st one. They
are saying they will send me to collections. They
have received all the stuff. But still want to charge
me. Is their anything I can do to fight this? Do they
have the right to still charge me?

Asked on October 7, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you refuse to pay because you believe you returned the uniforms, etc., they could try to sue you for the money (theyb or a collections agency on their behalf): a lawsuit would be the only way to compel you to pay. To win the case and make you pay, they'd have to convince the court that you never returned the items--and you could present your evidence and testimony that you did return them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption