What re our rights regarding a home that is still unfinished after 10 months?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What re our rights regarding a home that is still unfinished after 10 months?

We are 10 months into our building contractor and the builder has been delaying each step. Materials are in and we have made multiple calls with no luck. We have spoken to the corporate office and have been promised work would be done but still nothing. We want to know what we can do to get the home completed since we have been paying the full mortgage on it.

Asked on October 17, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that the deadline set forth in your contract with the contractor/builder has elapsed, you can sue the contractor/builder for breach of contract for failure to timely complete the construction of the house.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for breach of contract) would include costs you have incurred due to the deadline for completion of the house having elapsed such as the mortgage payments you have been making.
An alternative to seeking monetary damages in your lawsuit for breach of contract would be the remedy of specific performance.  Specific performance would require the contractor/builder to complete the work on the house pursuant to the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption