Can I be denied unemployment due to one alledged instance of what they call misconduct?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be denied unemployment due to one alledged instance of what they call misconduct?

I had a single failed drug test and was terminated from my job after many years of employment.I now recieved a letter from the unemployment commission denying my unemployment claim due to Fl Statue Section 443 saying it was for misconduct and disqualifies me. I did not smoke the drug they alledged and this is what I maintained with my employer. Do I have any chance at an appeal? Do I need an attorney for the appeal with a referee? In Sumter County, FL.

Asked on November 2, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You do not necessarily need an attorney for the appeal but it might be a good idea to consult with one to see if the drug use falls under the Florida law's definition of "misconduct." "Misconduct” is generally meant under Florida law to actions that amount to the most reckless and egregious violations of work rules.  Although many acts of employees are sufficient to warrant the termination of their employment, those same acts do not always constitute “misconduct” which should exclude an employee from receiving unemployment compensation benefits. Breaking the law, though, might be enough for misconduct in the eyes of unemployment. But if you maintain that you did not ingest the drug yourself then seek consultation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption