Underemployment claim in Michigan

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Underemployment claim in Michigan

I have worked for my Michigan employer full-time for almost 10 years. Starting June 1, they will be making me a part-time employee (24 hours a week). A current co-worker who has been there 4 years will be able to remain full-time (she works at a position that I used to work at until I was promoted to payroll processing). I have offered to take a paycut for any hours that I fill in as receptionist, but they said no. Am I eligible for any unemployment benefits since I will be underemployed?

Asked on May 26, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I don't believe so. You should contact your Michigan Dept of Labor though about the ethics behind this -- i.e., you have more seniority yet someone with less seniority is allowed to stay on. Do you get along with your supervisors? Have you made recent claims about something? Are you on contract or are you an at-will employee?

Here is the link for the unemployment insurance agency: http://www.michigan.gov/uia

Here is a fact sheet: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/uia_ClmUnempBenFactSheet36English_76381_7.pdf

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption