CanI get diversion for a charge of underage alcohol possession?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI get diversion for a charge of underage alcohol possession?

I was alone talking on my phone leaning up against a building. Cop stopped me because he though I was “urinating” on the wall, when in fact I was not. The officer asked me if I had been drinking because I smelled like beer. I told him that someone spilled a beer on me at a party (which is true). He then wrote me a ticket for underage alcohol possession and I now have a court date at the end of the month. I am 18 and I have a perfectly clean record. Is it possible that I could do a court diversion program and eventually get it wiped clean? What should I do? Should I speak with a criminal law/DUI attorney? In Harrisonburg, VA.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The first thing that you should do concerning the criminal citation that you received for underage alcohol possession is to consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation.

Most likely the attorney will be able to get the charge resolved where you get court probation (diversion) for the charge and if you complete the court probation, the criminal charge will be dismissed and there will be nothing about it on your record. The last thing you want is a criminal record.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption