Under Age Drinking Citation – 15 year old – Pennsylvania

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Under Age Drinking Citation – 15 year old – Pennsylvania

My daughter was at a party that was raided. BAC was .039. All that was said that she would be issued a citation (this is her first offense) What happens next? Will she be fined? How will this affect her ability to get her permit/license? Will insurance costs be more? Will this be on her record for employment? Is it necessary to disclose this on job apps and/or college apps? Should we get an attorney? Thank you.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Although underage drinking is not "the crime of the century" I suggest that you consult with and/or retain a skilled criminal defense attorney with respect to this matter.  Although the procedures and consequences may vary from state to state, in Connecticut, where I practice, when a minor gets a citation for underage drinking one of two things can happen:  either plead guilty by paying the citation, or plead not guilty (on the ticket) and get a court date.  While paying the ticket often seems like the easiest resolution of the matter, it often carries unanticipated consequences, as you aptly point out, such as not being able to obtain one's driver's license (or having one's driving privilges suspended) for a period of time.  Therefore, due to the potential consequences (as well as the existence of a possible valid defense -- if your daughter was not actually caught drinking) I strongly suggest for your to consult with an attorney, if possible, prior to taking any action with respect to the citation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption