What to do if my dog got out of my yard and chased a neighbor who ran, fell and injured himself?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my dog got out of my yard and chased a neighbor who ran, fell and injured himself?

It happened about 4 am and I was not aware that he got out. My neighbor saw my dog and became scared so started running and then fell and broke their ankle. He is now trying to sue me. What type of attorney do I need ? And wouldn’t this be covered under my landlord’s homeowner’s policy? This was not a pit bull or a dangerous dog. I have 3 babies and no money to be sued.

Asked on August 18, 2015 under Personal Injury, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The landlord's policy will not cover an injury caused by your dog the landlord's policy does not cover his tenants they should have their own insurance.
It is not at all clear that you would be liable, or responsible to pay. First, to be liable, you must have been at fault, which generally means negligent, or unreasonably careless. If the dog got lose because you were careless e.g. didn't close a gate, you could be liable, but if you did everything you reasonably should have done and the dog got lose anyway e.g. he was tied up and pulled so hard as to break his chain/leash, you would most likely not be liable. Furthermore, even if you were liable, the amount you may have to pay would be reduced by the other person's own liability, such as his carelessness in first panicking, then falling. So there is a reasonable chance you are not liable or only partially liable.
Still, if sued, you should retain an attorney to defend you. You want a litigator an attorney who handles lawsuits not a contract or wills or real estate attorney with some experience in personal injury cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption