What can I do if my brother overstayed his work study visa 3.5 years ago and I want him to stay in the U.S.?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my brother overstayed his work study visa 3.5 years ago and I want him to stay in the U.S.?

We are from the Ukraine. He is 23 and I am 30. I married an American citizen and already have my citizenship. I want to help my brother become legal in the U.S. Our mother passed away and we have no home to return to, so it is very important to me. Can he get a visa if I apply for I’m?

Asked on February 14, 2016 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately , if he has overstayed and is out of status and unlawfully present, even if you petition for him and his visa number becomes available (in 10-12 years as that is the time frame for sibling of US citizen petitions)  he will not be eligible to adjust status because of his unlawful status.  Under the current immigration laws, the only way he can legalize his status within the US is through a valid bona fide marriage to a US citizne, the same process as you had undergone if you are married to a US citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption