Is it possible to get out of being charged because the court and/or the cop wrote down the wrong name?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get out of being charged because the court and/or the cop wrote down the wrong name?

If not, what should I do to solve this dilemma? About 2 months ago I got a couple of minor misdemeanor offenses charged against me. I just recently got a letter of amendment stating that the court mixed up my address and that they corrected it. The problem is that they had the wrong last name. Today they sent me another letter of a motion to serve summons from the court and they still had the wrong name.

Asked on December 23, 2013 under Criminal Law, Ohio


Maury Beaulier /

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It may be an issue at trial and an officer can be questioned on his attention to detail  Itdoes not, by itself, result in a dissmissal because the charge may be amended at any time or refiled. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption