What are my options regarding a defaulted student loan?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options regarding a defaulted student loan?

Unable to pay my student loans. I was paying something on each but one has gone into default. The loan company said they want us to pay today. They gave us some options, but they are way beyond what I can afford. I need advice now. They said if we didn’t it would be turned over to a collection agency and they could take other options. I was just contacted about it late last week that it went into default. Can they do it that fast and what can I do? I got sick last year and have medical bills as well. I had insurance but it didn’t cover anything.

Asked on August 24, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are unable to pay your obligations including one specific student loan due to financial hardship resulting from an illness, the best thing for you to do is to keep in contact with people or entities that you owe money to and try and work out a written payment plan on terms that you can accept.

Unfortunately, if you owe on an obligation and it is past due, the creditor can can declare it in default and turn it over to collections. A creditor can turn accounts over to a collection agency quickly. It all depends upon the circumstances of each matter.

Many people in your position who cannot pay their obligations due to large debt and small monthly cash flow find that their only option for relief is to seek bankruptcy protection. A bankruptcy filing may be your only option to get back on your feet financially.

You should consult with a competent bankruptcy attorney about your financial situation.

Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption