Trust/Life tenent

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Trust/Life tenent

I ‘am the trustee sole beneficiary my step-mother is the life tenant. under the trust she has full access to main floor living space and 1- garage bay. The basement level has an attached shop garage that I have access to without notice. she has unplugged the openers and locked the door between the shop basement. She is also required buy the trust to pay rent, but has not payed anything since my father passed. What can I do?

Asked on October 27, 2019 under Estate Planning, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

As the trustee, you can bring a lawsuit against your stepmother on behalf of the trust to enforce the terms of the life tenancy--i.e. to force her to restore access and to pay rent. You would likely need an attorney to bring it for you, since a nonlawyer cannot represent a trust. You could use any funds available to the trust to pay for the attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption