What can I do if the trustee’s of my father’s Trust are not communicating with me, a beneficiary?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if the trustee’s of my father’s Trust are not communicating with me, a beneficiary?

My father died 7 months ago. The trustee’s are my sister and my eldest brother. I am named as beneficiary and have not been notified by them for 2 months. I contacted an attorney hired by the Trustee’s for help in the administration of the Trust to express my concerns of no contact. I want to protect myself as a beneficiary of the Trust.

Asked on August 4, 2015 under Estate Planning, California


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

This is an all too common occurrence with non-professional trustees, i.e., family member trustees.  
Once your father died, under California law, you are entitled to a complete copy of the trust instrument.  I hope you were provided a copy of the trust by the trustees.  The trustees of the trust are fiduciaries who owe duties solely to the beneficiaries you.  You should carefully review the terms and provisions of the trust to ensure that the trustees are uphodling their duties to you as a beneficiary.  If not, you can sue the trustees' for breach of trust and othe appropriate remedies.  
I hope this answered your question. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption